Monday, February 4, 2008

What to do in February

Actually, I have been doing more than I have talked about, some of it kinda boring. We are being faithful in returning kitchen scraps to the compost bin. Today's contribution was lemon rinds from the wonderful fresh lemonade we made this weekend, using Splenda. So good. Also, we saved the parings from purple top turnips from the garden. All that along with egg shells, coffee and tea grounds make fairly frequent trips to the garden.

Something that we enjoy so much is feeding the flocks of birds that have found our back yard. We have many, many cardinals. They add so much cheer on a dreary day. We haven't bothered to identify all the different species of birds out there, but they are many and varied.

Today, I am being ambitious and bought three rose bushes. They are: Mr. Lincoln, one of my favorites. (I probably already have that, but you can't have too many, IMO); Gold Medal (grandiflora) (who can resist a beautiful yellow rose), and another yellow, New Day (hybrid tea). If I had my way, I'd have a garden full of roses, but compulsive as I am about everything green and growing, I must save room for the veggies! We buy our seeds at the local co-op, so today on our excursion, we checked to see when they would have their onion sets and seeds, and that should be in another two weeks. We want to get there early this time and get first choice.

Looks like more rain today. Good day for doing on-line research or catching up on reading.

No comments: