Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Winter Comfort Food

February is being ushered out here in NE Mississippi by very chilly-almost dreary weather. Is it just to have something to do, or do we really need something hot and cheery to chase away the doldrums? In the pantry, I still have some canned turnip-mustard greens. How good would be cornbread be with that? Is it obvious I am very Southern? Also, I see I have a package of October/cranberry beans. Have been meaning to get that washed and prepped, so that is definitely something to do today. Those beans are SO delicious and quite nutritious.

Speaking of October beans, I recently had an enquiry about where I purchase seeds. We simply plant the beans we buy from the grocery store. They don't need to be treated and are definitely less expensive than from seed companies. I don't know if they are carried by every grocery store, but we have not had a problem finding them at Wal-Mart in the dry beans section. They are labeled "Siler's Selected Cranberry Beans." Then in another label, they are called "October or cranberry beans."

I have read in gardening tips (and do this) to soak the beans in tepid water about an hour so so before planting. This speeds sprouting. We will definitely be planting these again this spring and have the spot already prepared.

The sun is out now and temps are rising to almost a heat wave--40 degrees at 11:45 a.m. Maybe a simple lunch will suffice--this time!

No comments: