Monday, February 11, 2008

A Beautiful Day

What a gorgeous day! My plan was for a walk-for-exercise around our garden track about 9 a.m. We had started spading a little strip in the garden a few days ago, and that just beckoned me. I was going great guns when J came down, and seeing how nice the soil was turning, he decided to bring the rototiller and finish that little spread. I did not object. He tilled in the compost that I had spread there last fall. Surprisingly for a February day, it looked ready for planting, but that is about two months away yet.

We went looking for black plastic to "mulch" that strip from the spring rains, etc., but were dismayed that what we had used in the past is not available here now, only a different kind that is way too expensive for our purpose. Will keep looking, though.

The rest of the garden was too wet to till. We did clear off the turnip-mustard greens row, because that is a definite go for this spring. We had very good luck there this past year. As soon as the plants come in for the "cold weather" stuff such as cabbage, onions, etc., we'll have a place to put them. That should bridge nicely until the real veggies are ready to plant.

Speaking of bridges, our plans for tomorrow do not include the garden. The weather man tells us to expect rain, so we won't feel too put out that I have to go once again to the dentist and have a temporary bridge re-attached. I was supposed to get the final one done on the 21st, but this temp had a mind of its own. When I was there last, I was so entertained by a 4-year-old girl who had to have some work done, and she was not happy, to put it mildly. A lot of little 4-year-old girls are SO dramatic. She proceeded to lie down in the floor and proclaim "I hate teeth!" I was impressed that the dentist, the father of a 4-year-old who is the friend of this little girl, understood her little drama and charmed her into cooperating. This was after banishing her mother from the room. This usually does the trick, and it did in this case. Before long, she was chatting away and probably came away with less dread of her next visit.

I don't think that a tantrum will fix my teeth. I don't think my dentist would appreciate it, either.

No comments: