Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A Quiet Tuesday

We are experiencing ominous weather today. Old time weather prognosticators always knew that the hot weather such as we are having the first of February was not good. Nothing we can do about it but be watchful.

I did make the Coca Cola chicken today, but in my cast iron "chicken fryer" in the oven instead of the crockpot. We had it for lunch, and of course there will be leftovers for dinner. The chicken was very tender. Hubby and I had a nice serving of that sans the gravy. That is where the fat was, and of course the sugar, with the Coke and catsup. But the onion was heavenly. For dinner, I plan to make more onion in the microwave in my favorite little microwave dish.

One productive thing I have done today was to set out the rose bushes I got yesterday. The yard is far too mushy to do anything there now, so I have borrowed a barrel that still had good rich dirt from last summer's flowers, set the roses in that, mulched them well, and will keep my fingers crossed that they will survive until I get a permanent place fixed.

Also, I am beginning to collect gallon plastic jugs to use as mini-irrigation systems this summer. To look at the garden now, one would find it difficult to picture how dry and hot it will be later. But it will!

No comments: