Friday, February 8, 2008

TGIF

I don't need to update our weather if anyone has had TV on for a minute! The storm that really hit Oxford, MS tracked across just a few miles northwest of us. It probably was the one that did such damage in Alcorn County and beyond into Tennessee and Kentucky. Today's weather is so beautiful it is hard to picture the devastation not too far from us.

While taking the kitchen scraps to the compost bin, I decided to get my vitamin D fix for today and stayed outside about 20 minutes, soaking in the sun. Although there was a cool wind, the sunshine was so pleasant, and I enjoyed my walk around the garden, wishing it could be spring already. Too wet still to do any work there, though.

Planning lunch was easy enough. We had purchased boneless chicken breasts yesterday at a wonderful discount, using comp ads. I had remembered seeing a recipe on a box of Bisquick for Ultimate Chicken Fingers. I had the ingredients, so that is what I did for a quick and easy lunch. As I am giving Bisquick full credit, I don't think they'd mind if I share. We will definitely be doing this again, especially when the grandchildren visit!

Ultimate Chicken Fingers

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb) cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
2/3 cup Original Bisquick mix
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt or garlic salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

HEAT oven to 450. Line cookie sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray. In 1-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag, mix Bisquick mix, cheese, salt and paprika.

DIP half the chicken strips into egg; place in bag. Seal bag; shake to coat. Place chicken on cookie sheet. Repeat to use up remaining chicken. Drizzle butter over chicken.

BAKE 12-14 min, turning chicken halfway through bake time with pancake turner, until no longer pink in center.

4 servings.

Note: I did add black pepper. I used Fleischman's spread, which is healthful. Also, I keep a container of grated parmesan, so that was a no-brainer. If one wishes, the chicken can be marinated in buttermilk for 30 min. or so, and the egg could probably be left off. I have done the marinade this way, and it makes the chicken so incredibly tender!

That's all for today.

No comments: