Saturday, July 14, 2007

Beans, Beans, More Beans

Just when I had despaired of having enough green beans to can more than a half-dozen pints, here comes the 0.75" rain and scads of beans. I'm not sure how to gauge the yield on this one picking from a very short row, but I'll estimate 7 quarts by the time I get them prepped and the rest of them picked. This is from the previous post where I was so ecstatic over the much needed rain.

Also, these are just a few of the very nice tomatoes that ripened all at once. I see a Roma or two on the tray, and I think Arkansas Travelers. It wasn't too bright of me to cover up the tags so I couldn't see the names, but when I remove the cages later, I will get the names and make a note of whether I want to grow them again next year. The Arkansas Traveler is a pink, low-acid tomato and very delicious; however, it is prone to blight.

So this weekend I will be canning beans. We will be so glad to have them this winter. We will continue to enjoy them fresh as long as they last.

Better run and get started on these veggies! What a joy!

4 comments:

Amy said...

You should either print and frame that picture, or better yet, commission John IV to paint it!

Dell(ms.native) said...

That is a good suggestion. It would make a good still life, wouldn't it?

Anonymous said...

Pictures of garden bounty are always envy producing.

Most of my summer veggies are playing out. Some good varieties, some not so good for this area. To my surprise, my beans are still going. And going... and going.

I gotta get a pressure canner. Canned beans are better than frozen any day.

Dell(ms.native) said...

Thanks for stopping by, Nicole. I enjoy your blog. Tomorrow I am planting my fall cranberry beans. I need that space but was a little bit dubious because of the new blooms appearing. I do want to see how the fall crop would do, so yesterday I took things in my own hands, pulled up the beans and harvested them much as we used to do peanuts. To my surprise, the green ones are delicious! Out of that gleaning off that very short row, I got 4 quarts of shelled beans with green beans. They look so pretty! The reason I did quarts is that my canner holds about 7 or 8 jars, depending, and I was afraid I couldn't get all that in pints; hence the quarts. Not to worry--we will enjoy them.

I am more of a "canner" than "freezer." I don't have to worry if we have a power outage such as in '94 when we were without power 15 days.

Our snake beans are beside themselves. We're having such fun sharing, also. I hope to have more pix soon. I was having problems getting more than one image per blog, don't know why, but today I bought a Complete Idiot's Guide, and that should have me expert over the weekend.

Later.......