Sunday, November 18, 2007

On A Recipe Kick

While I was doing the chicken dressing recipe, I ran across this old favorite of my family's (at least it was mine). I think I got it from my first Betty Crocker cookbook that I received my first Christmas with my new husband! (hint, hint) Anyway, it looks simple but it is delicious. Kids will eat it!

HAMBURGER PIE

1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound ground beef
salt and pepper to taste
1 can (2 1/2 cups) or 1/2 pound cooked fresh green beans, drained
1 can condensed tomato soup
5 medium potatoes, cooked
1/2 c warm milk
1 beaten egg
salt and pepper

Heat oven to 350.

Cook onion in hot oil until golden. Add beef and seasonings. Brown. Drain.

Add drained beans and soup. Pour into greased 1 1/2 qt casserole.

Mash the potatoes. Add the milk, egg and seasonings. Spoon in mounds over meat mixture. Bake in moderate oven (350) until potatoes are slightly browned. Makes 6 servings.

It can be done without the potatoes. You can substitute any topping, or you may have it plain with potatoes as a side, or rice maybe?

No comments: