Sunday, August 26, 2007

Rain Dance

Okay, I've proved it! You want it to rain? Spend your grandchildren's inheritance watering. Saturday morning, just feeling sorry for the struggling beans, peppers, tomatoes, etc., we watered, and watered, and watered. Here came a few clouds. I asked Husband, "What Gives?" We knew what gave by afternoon: a 1/2" downpour, complete with accompanying thunder and lightening and high wind. We just couldn't help grinning as we watched, from room to room and window to window.

Fast forward to this morning and my trip to see what happened. Those pitiful pepper plants that looked done, look refreshed, and the little pepper forms that had no hope a day before, now may have reason to struggle on to cooler weather. I did get a few tommytoes from a pitiful vine with only a coupla leaves.

A few days ago, I had picked the remaining Christmas butterbeans and cooked the tender ones. There were several dry ones that we had overlooked earlier that I couldn't bear to waste, so those had been soaked and rehydrated. I pressure-cooked those this morning, and we had that for lunch along with roasted chicken and fresh tomato. We usually do that gleaning later in the season, but were glad to have a chance at them if a bit early.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Wow, Dell - You've had quite a rollercoaster ride! (Hmmm, reading your blog makes me hungry for a salad!) How have you been? Our long drought finally broke earlier this week, so I can give the soaker hose (and my water bill) a rest, but it's been a tough summer, no? It was fun visiting you again...
Kathleen

Dell(ms.native) said...

Hi, Kathleen. Glad you dropped by. Yes, it's been a tough summer, tougher than usual weather-wise, but we shall persevere! This entire year has been unusual, what with the spring freeze.

My son lives in your neck of the woods (Woodbridge, VA). He visited recently and took a "care package" back of beans, greens, pickles, pepper salts, etc. That is one way to get him home!

Do visit again. I enjoy reading your blog.

Dell